Articles & Videos
Director of Urban Design - Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Landscape Architect Jobs
Landscape Designer Jobs
Landscape Management Jobs
Business Development Jobs
Apply for Job
Refer a Friend
Add To Favorites
The Director of Urban Design leads PHS’s thinking and action in using horticulture to transform the region's public realm. To accomplish this, the Director envisions, develops, and delivers innovative urban horticulture projects and leads the in-house Urban Design Team. Key day-to-day responsibilities for this position include creating project proposals and budgets, working with the Development team to raise funds for new projects, leading the Urban Design Team to deliver projects for internal and external clients, leading the work of the Design and Horticulture Advisory Committee, and managing relationships with stakeholders and partners involved in PHS’s public realm work. In all this work, the Director collaborates actively with the Chief of Programs, the President, and colleagues across the organization while sustaining excellence in conception, design, and delivery of projects.
• Define a clear, broadly understood strategy for PHS's work to transform the region's public realm through horticulture in partnership with the President, Chief of Programs, the Design and Horticulture Committee, the Board of Directors, and other partners and advisors. This will include working with these stakeholders to shape the strategy, publicly presenting and advocating for the strategy, maintaining alignment with stakeholders over time, cultivating strong and supporting relationships with colleagues, partners, city agencies, contractors, and communities, and supporting the Urban Design team to successfully engage in these partnerships.
• Create an ongoing pipeline of projects that bring this strategy to life and maintain high levels of utilization for the Urban Design Team. This will include working with internal and external partners to shape, fund, design, and implement these projects. This will include creating proposals for grant-funded and fee-for-service projects, working with external clients and PHS development staff to secure funds for projects, maintaining an active pipeline of projects, monitoring and evaluating grants and contracts, and regularly communicating with support, funders, partners, and stakeholders.
• Manage the delivery of landscape design and urban projects for internal and external clients, including fee for service projects and internally funded projects. This will include setting and overseeing landscape architecture design and project management policies, standards, maintaining quality control, overseeing all aspects of project developing including creating scopes of services, site analysis, designs, cost estimates, drawings and specifications, reviewing bid document reviews, managing construction, and reviewing, editing, approving plan reports and designs for aesthetics, good horticulture and design quality, and assuring contracts are fulfilled within cost and timeframe budgets, quality standards and specifications.
• Lead and manage the Urban Design Department as a thriving part of PHS. This will include managing the finances of the department including the development and monitoring of project plans and budgets, hiring, managing, and developing a multi-disciplinary team, ensuring that team members set and achieve professional development goals, monitoring performance of all team members and taking disciplinary action as needed, and serving as a leader in PHS’s programs management team to promote and ensure successful implementation of the various initiatives of the department.
• Other duties as assigned
SUPPORTIVE FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY
• Promote sustainability to individuals, other agencies and communities
• Participates in PHS events throughout the year including PHeaSt and the Philadelphia International Flower Show
• Helps to enlist new and retain existing donors by sharing the benefits of PHS membership with partners, advisors, program participants and others with whom carrying out our mission
• Remain current with organization information and changes
• Promotes the work of PHS Programs locally, regionally, and nationally.
• Communicates and implements the organization’s strategies, policies, and procedures to staff.
• Comply with the organization’s policies and procedures
• Promote and applies teamwork skills
• Notifies appropriate individuals promptly of problems or unusual matters of significance
• Execute emergency procedures in accordance with organizational standards
• Comply with safety regulations and procedures
• Attend appropriate meetings and training sessions
• Use sustainable practices whenever possible
• This position has three direct reports
o Associate Director of Planning and Design
o Associate Director of Civic Landscapes
o Landscape Design Project Manager
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
• Masters degree in a Design or Urbanism related field.
• Minimum of 10 years of relevant, professional experience in bringing to life transformational projects in urban settings. Experience with urban horticulture or landscape design project a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully direct and manage a multidisciplinary team and work collaboratively across diverse organizations and disciplines, both internally and externally.
• Excellent knowledge of landscape design, urban design, horticulture, and sustainability practices.
• Ability to manage multiple projects, on budget, while adhering to deadlines.
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
• Familiarity with the Philadelphia region a plus.
• Strong graphic skills and ability to produce design packages.
• Proficient with (GIS) Geographical Informational Systems a plus
Copyright © 2017
All Rights Reserved.