Reports To: Director of Horticulture (March through August)
Manager of Magic Christmas in Lights (September through February)
Department: Horticulture (March through Aug.), Christmas (Sept. through Feb.)
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Full Time Position: Hourly, 40 hours per week, health/dental/life insurance group plans, paid short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) retirement plan, paid vacation, paid sick leave, paid holidays.
Position Summary: The Arborist is the primary staff member that provides professional management of the trees in and surrounding Bellingrath Gardens and Home, including non-public service areas. Regular general tasks include inspection, diagnosis and initiation of appropriate actions required to care for the Garden’s trees. The Arborist also develops and administers a complete pest management program to effectively monitor and suppress insects and diseases. The Arborist establishes and maintains a comprehensive inventory of the Garden’s trees. This position also works for half of the year in the Christmas department, installing and uninstalling lights and related features for the Magic Christmas in Lights show. The Arborist is an essential new position that will allow Magic Christmas in Lights to implement an exciting new 7-year master plan that will see novel features developed and existing ones improved.
Strong candidates will possess a hard working demeanor, adherence to instruction, efficiency in completing tasks in a timely manner, and an attitude towards safety. This position is an outdoor position, and applicants must be able to perform regular work under climatic conditions typical to Mobile, Alabama.
About Bellingrath Gardens and Home: Bellingrath Gardens and Home is the historic 65-acre estate and home of Walter D. Bellingrath and Bessie Morse Bellingrath, opened to the public in 1932. The Bellingrath-Morse Foundation was established by Mr. Bellingrath in 1949 on his 80th birthday to perpetuate the Gardens and Home as a “permanent and fitting memorial” to his wife’s “artistry and genius.” Today, visitors to Bellingrath Gardens and Home stroll through the vibrant and ever-changing estate garden and tour the historic home, built in 1935 and filled with the original furnishings and pieces collected by the two founders. Bellingrath is Alabama’s oldest public garden, remaining relevant today through its many varied programs, including its award-winning “Magic Christmas in Lights” holiday festival.
Primary duties of this position include:
· Utilizing ANSI A300 pruning standards on all tree work
· Assessing and maintaining Bellingrath’s trees through pruning, bracing and removal
· Regularly climbing trees (using appropriate gear and safety equipment)
· Applying pesticides and fertilizers safely and appropriately
· Operating chainsaws and other pruning equipment
· Operating an articulating man-lift
· Assisting outside contractors that are brought in to handle larger arboricultural projects
· Identifying and communicating potential hazard trees/branches/conditions to management
· Disposal of limbs and branches in debris areas
· Reducing larger branches/trunks into usable firewood for evening events (mainly Magic Christmas in Lights)
· Other duties as assigned in the Horticulture department
· Climbing trees and string-wrapping and/or hanging Christmas lights
· Assist in set-up and takedown of Magic Christmas in Lights exhibits
· Uninstalling and putting into storage lights and related supplies at the conclusion of Magic Christmas in Lights
· Other duties as assigned in the Christmas department