Wave Hill is a 28-acre public garden and cultural center in the Bronx overlooking the Hudson River and Palisades. Its mission is to celebrate the artistry and legacy of its gardens and landscapes, to preserve its magnificent views, and to explore human connections to the natural world through programs in horticulture, education and the arts. Wave Hill welcomes more than 150,000 visitors each year. For more information, please visit www.wavehill.org.
The Assistant Director must be an experienced "plants person" with knowledge of the widest range of plants both hardy and tender, and with awareness of the latest developments and introductions in the field. The position includes curatorial and management responsibilities but has a "hands-on" component to the work as well. The Assistant Director will supervise the ongoing enhancement of special garden areas and assist the Senior Director in the completion of new initiatives and capital projects. The Assistant Director has six gardeners reporting to him/her; their shared goal is the expression of exemplary plantsmanship, imaginative design, and meticulous maintenance. From April to November, this job includes the supervision and mentoring of interns, instructing them in proper horticultural practices and in the safe use and care of the tools of the craft. The Assistant Director will, as required, keep records (including plant record, inventory, and mapping) and produce written reports. This position is considered essential personnel during emergency situations. In the absence of the Senior Director, the Assistant Director is authorized to manage the day to day operations of the department on behalf of the Senior Director.
- B.A., with advanced training, preferred.
- 5 to 7 years of supervisory experience with a maturity and ability to create a team environment and manage staff effectively.
- Experience with a union staff preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with botanical Latin and the ability to manage a database.
- Strong communication, prioritization, problem-solving skills, and conflict resolution
- Strong organizational skills with scheduling and assignment of work details
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience in the field of public horticulture is highly desirable
- NY State Pesticide Applicators' License or the ability to obtain one
- Ability to operate landscape equipment and mechanical skills are desirable
- Knowledge and ability as horticulturist to maintain the collections, and be skilled in the selection, purchase, planting, and maintenance of trees and shrubs.
Salary and Schedule:
This is a full-time position reporting to Senior Director of Horticulture. This 5-day work week with an occasional evening/weekend. Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Send resume and cover letter with salary expectation in a single PDF document to Louis Bauer, Senior Director of Horticulture at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state Assistant Horticulture in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and only those receiving an interview will be contacted. No calls, please.
Wave Hill is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive environment for all employee