Are you a plant-loving, analytical, idea-driven person who has been itching for the opportunity to make a difference? We want to hear from you! Spring Meadow Nursery, Inc. is seeking a passionate, plant-savvy horticulture professional to help us continue to change the way people think about our products. Be a part of the Proven Winners Color Choice team that introduced ‘Limelight’ hydrangea and Wine & Roses weigela to North America!
As an assistant manager in the growing department, you will work closely with Growing Manager to plan and implement all work activities relating to plant growth and care after plant material is received from the propagation department. See that crops meet their target finish dates and ensure all plant material meets specifications prior to shipment. Interact closely with Growing Manager and other supervisors concerning overall production operations.
- Monitor plant growth and quality on a daily basis within assigned area.
- Keep assigned area clean and weed free at all times.
- Maintain an accurate product inventory with proper quality codes.
- Monitor and adjust projected finish dates of each crop while continuously evaluating plant salability.
- Develop and maintain a watering schedule.
- Monitor assigned houses daily.
- Assess watering requirements based on individual crop needs.
- Program irrigation events, and hand-water as necessary.
- Manage labor within assigned area, assist with managing labor elsewhere as needed.
- Daily record keeping of crew activities while monitoring efficiency and work flow.
- Monitor and evaluate crew leader and seasonal labor performance.
- Determine activity rates.
- Adjust work activities to ensure production goals are met.
- Enter daily labor activity data into PICAS database.
- Review, print and post incentive reports.
- Update and maintain PICAS database as needed, such as adding and removing employees, adding and removing Job codes/Cost centers, importing database changes, exporting bonus payouts for payroll, and general system audits.
- Work with Growing Manager and other assistants to develop, maintain, and continuously evaluate a thorough IPM program.
- Monitor pest and disease activity and maintain records.
- Determine control methods and procedures.
- Oversee pest and disease control procedures as needed, including pesticide applications and biological control agent applications.
- Train new applicators on safety and proper techniques.
- Assign placement of plant material to best utilize available space.
- Group plants together according to cultural needs.
- Change locations in the inventory database within a timely manner.
- Monitor and adjust nutritional program based on soil test results and plant growth requirements.
- Set up schedule for in-house soil sampling and outside laboratory testing.
- Maintain records and make recommendations to improve plant growth.
- Determine fertilizer use based on plant requirements.
- Assess results of fertilizer applications based on plant growth and test results.
- Develop fertilizer experiments to further optimize plant growth.
- Develop and maintain schedule of herbicide applications where appropriate and follow up with hand weeding.
- Determine timing of herbicide applications.
- Assess results of herbicide application based on plant growth and weed activity.
- Trial new herbicides to expand rotational chemicals.
- Develop and maintain pruning procedure and schedule.
- Determine timing and method of pruning based on plant size, shape, and the need for cuttings.
- Assess the results of pruning activities and continuously improve.
- Monitor functionality of equipment and facilities used in production.
- Routine inspection of greenhouse roofs, fans, louvers, shade curtains and heaters.
- Perform regularly scheduled inspections of irrigation systems to ensure functionality and uniformity of water delivery.
- Monitor fertilizer/chemical injection systems.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Follow Spring Meadow Nursery, Inc. Employee Handbook.
- Follow Spring Meadow Nursery, Inc. Safety Handbook.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- 2 or 4 years Horticulture or related degree.
- 1-2 years of work experience with plants.
- Computer skills are required for growing-related tasks in the Microsoft Dynamics NAV database as well as proficiency in Excel and Word.
- Must possess the ability to lift, carry, or otherwise move 20 pounds.
- Bilingual English-Spanish skills are highly desirable.
- Must maintain a level of performance equivalent to company standards, that being a “Meets Expectations” in all areas of your performance evaluations (including but not limited to, Self and Management reviews).
*The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
This organization participates in E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification. If you require an accommodation in the application process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team at (616) 846-4729.
Job Type: Full time, salary (exempt).
Pay: starting at $45,000 per year, dependent upon experience. Amount is not inclusive of total compensation package.
Benefits: Eligible for full benefit package, subject to new hire waiting period. Including but not limited to health insurance, 401k plan, and paid time off.