The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) plays an essential role
in the vitality of the Philadelphia region by creating healthier living
environments, increasing access to fresh food, growing economic
opportunity, and building deeper social connections between people. PHS
Healthy Neighborhoods team delivers this impact through comprehensive
greening and engagement initiatives in more than 250 neighborhoods.
Together with community partners, PHS carefully designs projects that
build on neighborhood strengths and aspirations to use greening to
improve the environment, health and quality of life in their
communities. To increase a healthy, diverse and resilient tree canopy in
southeastern Pennsylvania, PHS educates residents on tree care and
facilitates volunteer tree planting and stewardship. PHS also connects
partner organizations with funding and support needed to increase tree
cover in riparian habitats across the region. The Associate Director,
Trees is responsible for promoting and ensuring successful
implementation of all operations of the PHS Trees team. This position
leads the development and delivery of tree education, planting and
stewardship activities in the City of Philadelphia and surrounding
region. The Associate Director, Trees will effectively manage the team
and provide strategic leadership to build on existing program strengths,
streamline operations and increase impact. This position supports
related fundraising efforts and initiatives to ensure compliance and
alignment with funders’ expectations.
- Engagement, Education & Training –Supervises the PHS Tree
Tenders program in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties in
southeastern Pennsylvania and improves on the existing model. These
activities include community engagement and targeted outreach campaigns
to promote the program and facilitate establishment of new
community-based, tree planting and stewardship groups, as well as basic
training courses, advanced training courses, continuing education
sessions, and customized trainings. Works with team to execute program
activities. Cultivates strong partnerships. Works with Vice President of
Healthy Neighborhoods and Tree Team to design and implement strategies
to increase participation in priority communities.
- Tree Planting – Supervises the planning, implementation, and
evaluation of community tree plantings and riparian tree plantings.
Leads partnering with other organizations to facilitate one-time tree
planting activities. Oversees the solicitation of applications from Tree
Tenders groups. Oversees the procurement of trees, supplies, permitting
and removal of pavement for tree planting. Oversees the grant program
to increase riparian tree plantings across the region. Assists with tree
planting activities. Drives improvements to streamline processes and
- Stewardship – Supervises the planning, implementation, and
evaluation of tree stewardship activities, including structural pruning,
pit care, and collection of data related to the survival rate, growth,
and health of trees planted through PHS programs utilizing community
volunteers and/or contracted employees/interns. Assists with stewardship
- Impact Delivery - Together with Tree Team, Vice President of
Healthy Neighborhoods, Tree Tenders and partners, defines clearly
articulated goals and strategy for PHS’s role in increasing the region’s
tree canopy. Leads change and process improvement strategies to drive
team towards increased impact and goals.
Oversees project and grant budgets. Facilitates invoice processing.
Works with Vice President of Healthy Neighborhoods to prepare and manage
annual budget. Responsible for budget performance. Monitors financial
reports to ensure budget compliance.
Works with team to compile quantitative and narrative reports of
proposed and completed deliverables, including required grant reporting.
Coordinates with staff and PHS Marketing and Communications team to
develop and implement communications and engagement strategies as
needed, and is the primary liaison with Marketing and Communications.
Coordinates with team, the VP, Healthy Neighborhoods and PHS
Development team to develop and implement fundraising strategies,
including individual donor cultivation, crowd-sourced fundraising, and
foundation and corporation funding. Ensures compliance with funders’
- Education / years & type of experience: Bachelor’s degree in
related field and/or at least five years of equivalent work experience
in a management position.
- Certifications, Licenses, Credentials: ISA (International Society
of Arboriculture) certification or willingness to achieve certification
- Baseline Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of arboriculture, particularly urban forestry.
- Technical knowledge of best practices in urban forestry, including
expertise in regional tree species, tree health, and urban community
- Experience teaching adults and children in large and small groups.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, on budget, while adhering to deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully direct and manage a
multidisciplinary team and work collaboratively across diverse
organizations and disciplines, both internally and externally.
- Experience working with volunteers and organizing community service projects.
- Diplomatic with excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Familiarity with the Philadelphia and surrounding counties and comfort traveling throughout the city and region.
- Proficient with basic computer software, including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines with a shifting workload in a fast-paced environment.
- High-level attention to detail.
- Excellent influential, collaborative, and relationship building skills.
- Valid driver’s license and a clean, safe driving record.
Job Type: Full-time