Does this sound like you? If so, apply today!
When it comes to gardening, you really know your stuff. You have a good five years of experience working in the gardening or landscape industry; better yet you have retail garden center experience. You have a solid feel for our Houston climate and are very comfortable making good plant recommendations. Hot weather? Not a problem for you because you prefer to be outdoors. Rain? No problem either, because you won’t melt. Dirt under your fingernails? Always.
You know how important it is to help customers be successful and you’re focused on teaching them the best way to use what they buy. When you see a customer you know it’s your first priority to make contact and welcome them. Then, help them focus on products that will help them be successful with their project. Providing the most accurate information about the plants and products is key to building trust with the customer. If they’re not successful the first time around, you’ll be there to get them back on track with a smile!
You are a leader and can keep your team focused and on-track to meet sales goals and be successful in their roles. You have experience buying and can predict trends in needs with the changing seasons. You are detail oriented and can easily keep track of incoming deliveries and existing inventory.
You take pride in your work and have a passion for what you do. That passion might have led you to already complete a TCNP/TCLP certification. If so, that’s great! If it’s still on your to-do list, we’d love to help you complete it. You’re looking for full-time work and are available on weekends.
Are you a passionate gardener, but perhaps don’t have official industry experience? Or perhaps you have formal horticulture education but don’t quite yet have five years of experience? Tell us your story and we’ll happily consider your application!
Key Job Responsibilities:
1. Greet all of our customers with a smile and make them feel welcome!
2. Sell and promote your department's products and related goods. Selling should be your first priority - at least as important as buying.
3. Determine the right product placement/end caps, pricing and inventory levels.
4. Buy the right product mix and strive to increase sales/margins over last year's actual sales. Work with and collaborate with other SALs to cross-sell and cross-buy. Communicate what you want to buy from vendors ahead of the time to ensure availability.
5. Ensure your new hires are thoroughly oriented in their new job. Train your staff in selling techniques, product knowledge and garden center policies. Schedule, supervise and coordinate daily employee activities for maximum productivity.
6. Participate in creating effective advertising and promotions.
7. Communicate key information and/or decisions with employees and management. When a decision has been made, accurately communicate it and ensure it is understood and supported.
8. Be proactive in addressing/resolving all BNP work issues with Garden Center Managers.
Each member of our team is an integral part of the overall success of the entire company. To help us operate at an efficient, effective and profitable level, all of us may be called upon to assist in different areas of the operation and perform tasks that may be outside of normal day to day responsibilities.
Please come in to get an application or download one from our website:
Bring it in completed to Buchanan's Garden Center along with a copy of your resume and a cover letter.
Buchanan's Native Plants
611 E. 11th St.
Houston, TX 77008