The Division Manager, Succulents & Houseplants will be a member of the Operations leadership team at Bonnie. The successful candidate will champion all aspects of Bonnie’s entry into the succulent and houseplant categories. Among other duties, helping define our entry strategy into the category, developing an overall strategy for where and how we’ll grow succulents and houseplants and developing a multi-year path to success. The candidate will also focus on developing growing protocols and processes – as well as leading and training a team of growers to build capability in new business areas for Bonnie. The successful candidate will also have the ability to seek out new genetics by working closely with breeders and other sources of material.
- Champion winning strategy for entering Succulent and Houseplant categories at Bonnie
- Develop the overall production plan and schedule – including locations, timing, quantities, etc.
- Working closely with the cross functional teams at Bonnie: Sales, Marketing, Supply Chain, Finance, etc.
- Working closely with procurement to develop sourcing strategy for plant and other materials needed
- Develop growing protocols for succulents and tropicals/houseplants within Bonnie.
- Identify new and/or commercially viable varieties for succulents and houseplants – including working with breeders and other sources.
- Work with Research & Development teams to develop test plans for commercially viable varieties.
- Help develop and implement training for growing protocols to teach other growers within the Bonnie network to successfully grow succulents and tropicals.
- Responsible for the cultivation of plants for retail distribution. Responsible for the ongoing success and management of the greenhouse operations that supports growing of succulents and houseplants.
- Supervision of plant growing, plant nutrition and protection, pest and disease control, harvesting and the maintenance of systems controlling the greenhouse environment, including HVAC and irrigation.
- Championing training of staff, planning, control of inventory and ordering of seeds and plants, budgeting, creating progress reports, occasional interaction with customers and ensuring compliance with environmental and safety regulations.
- Working closely with marketing, R&D and ecommerce teams on new product introduction plans.
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complicated problems in an efficient/effective manner
- Bias for action – results-driven individual
- Strong interpersonal skills – ability to work collaboratively in a matrixed/team environment
- Entrepreneurial Spirit – proven ability to develop and execute new ideas – willing to champion new and different ideas even in the face of strong challenges.
- Creative Problem Solving – ability to dig deeper to understand complex problems and develop innovative solutions.
- Enterprise thinker – ability to understand how their work fits into/enhances the broader enterprise objectives
- Organized – strong project management skills
- Ability and desire to grow career as the business grow
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years of experience in growing succulents and tropicals/houseplants for retail sale.
- Experience in plant production in a greenhouse environment
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Pesticide Applicator's license or the ability to obtain one within 6 months of employment is required.
- Auburn/Opelika Alabama
- Regular travel to facilities around the United States will be required