Nantucket, MA 02554
The Garden Center Manager is responsible for managing sales and merchandising of all garden products, and managing retail garden center operations in coordination with Greenhouse Management and in conformance with established Farm policies, strategies, and procedures.
Performs any functions necessary, within scope of authority and expertise, to provide the highest level of customer service and responsiveness to the needs of individuals, families, businesses, and organizations served by the Farm, including, but not limited to, the following:
1) Manages and directs Garden Center operations including merchandising and sales of all Farm plant and garden related products. Works to maximize sales through product display, product quality and mix, and by providing the highest level of customer service.
2) Responsible for working with CEO and Human Resources to create and adhere to Garden Center department budget including sales goals, expenses and labor costs.
3) Manages retail garden center staff. Responsible for creating labor budget to determine staffing levels, interviewing, selecting, scheduling and training staff. Conducts performance appraisals and determines retail employee hiring, termination, and wage changes in coordination with Human Resources.
4) Coordinates with greenhouse management to manage inventory of Farm-grown products, specifically including communicating when reorders are necessary, the timing of their pending delivery, and any product or customer related problems.
5) Works with greenhouse management researching and selecting plant and garden products for sales considering item quality, shelf-life, and profitability. Attends trade shows and reviews publications to ensure product mix is up to date with current customer interest and demand.
6) Selects and orders resale products from purveyors and negotiates prices and favorable terms. Coordinates delivery schedules with purveyors and retail staff. Receives wholesale plant products and trains staff on same, performs all related inventory management, and approves invoices on a timely basis.
7) Oversees pricing, packaging, displaying, stocking and signage for garden center products. Maintains all plant and garden center products in retail inventory and trains staff in the same. Creates and directs creation of display gardens.
8) Directs the custom planting division, which creates custom window boxes and container gardens.
9) Participates on Marketing Committee and works with marketing staff and makes recommendations for marketing and advertising plans.
This is a full-time year-round position with competitive salary and generous benefits.
1) Bachelor’s Degree in horticulture or equivalent experience.
2) Two to three years progressive experience in retail management and sales.
3) Must be detail-oriented and demonstrate excellent organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
4) Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel required. Familiarity with point of sale systems preferred.
5) Able to use various types of office equipment, drive trucks and operate equipment such as forklift and palate jack
Reports to: CEO
Job Status: Full Time, Exempt