Lake Wales, FL 33853-3470
Bok Tower Gardens, located in Lake Wales, Florida, offers an excellent opportunity for an experienced and motivated individual to join their Horticulture team. This position supervises an assigned team of gardeners/groundskeepers and acts in a leadership role on garden projects, as well as performing general gardening duties, and is responsible for the care and cultivation of an assigned garden area.
• Ability to plan, assign, supervise, and evaluate the work of a diverse staff and/or volunteers
• Ability to diagnose plant pests and diseases
• Ability to visualize and conceptualize garden detail and aesthetics applying best garden practices for plant health and display
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, fellow supervisors, direct supervisors, volunteers, and co-workers
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team effectively
• Performs regular inspections throughout assigned areas of the gardens; routine inspections may identify insect/disease problems, weed control needs, etc.; reports major problems or concerns to Horticulture Manager and makes necessary recommendations for correction or control
• Responsible for the personal proper use and maintenance of tools, equipment, and materials; performs minor maintenance of power equipment and irrigation; refers more serious problems to the Horticulture Manager or Mechanic; oversees proper use and maintenance of tools and equipment by assigned garden staff
• Responsible for maintaining required knowledge of established garden plants and understanding the cultural requirements to maintain their growth and cultivation
• Responsible for the continual development of assigned supervised garden staff and building positive employee relations by coaching, counseling, mentoring, motivating, resolving conflict, praising, documentation of performance, etc.; participates in annual performance reviews of assigned garden staff
• Demonstrates a continual positive effort to maintain effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, and management
• Responsible for the department’s gardening staff’s safety performance
• Ability to understand and interpret instruction to work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision
• BA or BS in horticultural sciences
• Five (5+) years previous experience in garden or grounds maintenance; previous supervisory experience with landscape or garden staff;
• Knowledge and understanding of gardening practices and plant materials appropriate for the nature of the Gardens preferred;
• Current Florida Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License with ornamental and turf category or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire
• Current Florida Certified Horticultural Professional certification or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire
• Specialize in one of three areas – Irrigation, Pest Management, or Turf Management
• Previous experience in garden or grounds maintenance with the ability to operate various types of hand and power operated tools and equipment utilized in all phases of horticulture work (lawnmower, front-end loader, tractors, back pack sprayers, weed-eaters, etc.)
• Strong organizational, analytical, and mathematical skills for research, recordkeeping, problem-solving.
• Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate maintenance and horticultural needs and personnel needs in a courteous and effective manner
• Ability to perform strenuous physical work outside in the Florida weather year-round
• Ability to lift and carry at least 60 lbs.
A horticulture competency test will be administered to all applicants invited to interview.