Position Title: Garden Supervisor
Department: Grounds FLSA
Designation: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Directly Reports To: Assistant Director of golf courses and grounds
Indirectly Reports To: Director of Golf Courses and Grounds Position Summary
The Garden Supervisor is responsible for the supervision of the Grounds and Greenkeepers staff associated with specific daily assignments related to Grounds and Kitchen Garden. The working supervisor must be motivated and an organized vegetable gardener with landscaping experience who supervises a team of gardeners. The kitchen garden measures approximately ½ acre and is a four season garden. Work is generally in the kitchen garden but often assists in floral arrangements, special events setup, and works in the grounds as necessary and expected. Works closely with the leadership team: the Director and Assistant Director of Golf Courses and Grounds.
- Supervise support staff in hiring; provide ongoing training; establish and uphold policy and procedures and corrective action and appraisal of staff; responsible for the annual performance reviews including making recommendations for annual and merit increases
- Lead the am and afternoon operations meetings to provide daily objectives and delegate tasks to staff. Assign staff job functions where needed to ensure operational efficiency and clearly communicate pertinent club and departmental information to the team.
- Oversee staff performance, conduct daily quality control checks and follow up in all phases of job function. Ensure all assignments are carried out to department standards; rectify any deficiencies with respective staff.
- Provide feedback on staff performance to Assistant Director of Golf Courses and Grounds. Report disciplinary issues to management.
- Create and supervise staff schedules to meet operational needs. Supervise and arrange coverage for call outs and PTO requests.
- Identify staff training needs and develop programs designed to address those needs. Maintain training records and monthly training programs; ensure the participation of all staff.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
- Greenhouse start-up: Start seeds in greenhouse and step up as needed before transplanting into the gardens
- Keep detailed records and garden journal
- Transplant seedlings from greenhouse to garden
- Participate in garden planning/projects
- Harvesting vegetables at the requested stage from the chef and kitchen This document is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all essential job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
- Maintain harvest records
- Microgreen growing in the greenhouse. All aspects of cultivation required: seeding, growing, harvesting, and processing of produce and record keeping
- Application of organic fertilizers and plant protectants
- Composting, weeding, and watering (manual and automatic irrigation)
- Seed and material inventory and reporting
- Completes other appropriate assignments provided by the Assistant Director of Golf Courses and Grounds.
Qualification Standards Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- At least two years garden/landscape experience
- Working knowledge of organic gardening methods (fertilizer and pest control
- Intermediate or greater plant knowledge: Flowers and veggies, herbs, trees and shrubs.
- Know how to start and use garden equipment: Rototiller, lawnmower, hand held garden tools.
- Good management, organizational and communication skills necessary. Be self-motivated and also able to motivate crew.
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to drive stick shift vehicle.
- Physically able to lift 50lbs, move pots around, be on knees for many hours, haul wheelbarrows, moving straw bales, and be in general good physical health.
- Able to plan, prioritize, and orchestrate projects dependent on garden needs, weather and the Club’s needs.
- Irrigation experience Education
- Horticulture degree and/or extensive experience in a related field.
- All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per club standards. Professional business attire required.
Other Due to the cyclical nature of the club, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the operation. Employees aim to satisfy the members’ needs and create an environment where the members can create incredible life time memories for their friends and family, while cultivating a positive work environment for our staff.
Compensation Competitive within the industry and commensurate with experience and qualifications.