- Searches out, evaluates, selects, and maintains sources of supply.
- Purchases a broad selection of nursery stock meeting the following criteria: quality, excellent value, at a cost sufficient to sell competitively at adequate gross margins. The buyer must be aware of our competitor’s pricing and the market-ability of items being considered for purchase & order under the appropriate code or create new codes to ensure the companies maximum profitability.
- Provides information to distribution center managers and sales personnel regarding the pricing, product assortment and availability from suppliers.
- Resolves all credit claims with suppliers.
- Monitors the entire company’s greengoods inventory levels ensuring that inventory does not exceed company guidelines.
- In order to keep abreast of availability of items from our parent company, primarily for summer/fall purchasing, the buyer should personally visit the Connecticut operations bi-weekly during May, June, July, August, and September.
- Visits seasonally to each Northern Nurseries distribution center to monitor quality of suppliers (especially new) materials, as well as receiving input from managers regarding supplier comparisons, service, problems, etc.
- Consistently searches out additional sources of nursery stock in accordance with
established standards of quality, value, and pricing. This search will consist of thorough over-the-road personal visits to potential suppliers, both large and small volume producers. It will also include attendance at major trade shows, and keeping abreast of purchasing “opportunities” and trends in the trade, through ongoing communications with suppliers.
- Quotes – upon request, provide competitive pricing and accurate availability to Northern’s managers, expeditiously.
- Participates, when required, in all advertising projects for greengoods.
- Submits all vendor or trade show reports in the time frame set by the Purchasing Manager.
- Buys for the sales force. Watches for purchasing opportunities that have a high
potential, low risk factor, for sales opportunities. Growers wishing to sell off blocks, row runs, or excess inventory, are possible sources.
- Items you may find in your search for new supply and/or regular inventories that may be in short supply, should be cataloged and filed for future reference, so we have a possible ready source when quoting opportunities present themselves.
- When necessary, processes all of the day-to-day purchases of greengoods for all locations including negotiating price and sourcing the material.
- Creates “Spring Master Greengoods” purchase orders; while analyzing costs to assure that Company established margins are obtained; and, produces various purchasing & sales reports that require data analysis such as “shopping lists” & “give backs”, contract growing opportunities, & cost analysis for negotiated prices.
- Arranges & schedules shipments of the product from the vendor to our locations including negotiating freight rates & selection of the freight company to be used.
- Spreads initial nursery stock to all locations while analyzing suppliers, costs, and logistics to maximize profits.