6024 Penn Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55419
Wagner Greenhouses located in Minneapolis and Hugo, a family owned business since 1901, is looking for an experienced Greenhouse Grower. Candidates must have a minimum of 3 years of greenhouse industry experience growing plugs/young plants. Please review the job description below:
• Discusses plant growing activities with Head Grower to plan for growing activities that are consistent with planned production schedules.
• Prepares space required for planned production.
• Monitors growing conditions and discusses changes in humidity, moisture and temperature and cultivation procedures with head growers to ensure conformance with quality control standards.
• On a regular basis inspects crop to ascertain conditions such as leaf texture, bloom size and the existence of pests or disease; removing substandard or diseased plants to maintain quality standards.
• Applies fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and fungicides as directed.
• Assists in the development of growing procedures for new species in product line and new cultivation techniques.
• Maintains records of growing techniques and production to be used for review to identify trends and to forecast future space needs.
• May assist in training new employees in growing techniques and activities.
• Maintains a current knowledge of growing techniques and technologies.
• Assists the Head Grower and performs other duties as assigned.
• Other core expectations will be defined by the company.
• Ability to calculate figures amounts, proportions, percentages and volume in relation to the application of fertilizers, chemicals and water. Apply the principles of algebra and geometry for applications of such procedures.
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills to interact with team members, senior support personnel, high level personnel and customers.
• Ability to define and solve problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions necessary to identify a wide variety of conditions such as plant diseases, existence of insects, etc.
• Have the knowledge and ability to identify major plant groups and be aware of their culture and growth traits.
• Work independently and as part of a team.
• Planning, organizing and attention to detail.
• Adaptability and multi-tasking; experience working in a fast moving environment.
• Fosters positive working relationships.
• Other core competencies will be defined by the company.
• 2-4 year degree in Horticulture or related field and 3-5 years of related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
• Must understand the use of injectors, electrical conductivity and pH meter, boom and irrigations systems.
• Thorough knowledge of water lines and be aware of and monitor conditions such as ventilation, light conditions, temperature and humidity.
• Must have in depth knowledge of the safe handling and application of chemicals such as fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and fungicides.
• Ability to work in conditions typically found in a greenhouse with high humidity and varying temperatures, with a fair amount of moisture present.
• Ability to exert up to 15-50 pounds occasionally, 20 pounds of force frequently and 10 pounds of force constantly in order to lift and move product.
• Ability to balance, reach and grasp while climbing on a step stool and/or ladder.
• Ability to crouch, grasps, and lift product above shoulders in order to lift product from the floor properly.
• Ability to be on feet while performing job responsibilities.
• Ability to sit for long periods of time depending on your position and/or getting up and down through your work shift.
REQUIRED WORK SCHEDULE
• This position requires a 40-hour minimum work week.
• Must be able to work outside 12 months out of the year.
• Willingness to work weekends.
Wagner Greenhouses offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package. Please send résumé with salary requirements