Located in York, PA, Millbourne is a 50-acre private estate with English style gardens which includes formal and informal gardens, perennial gardens, a woodland garden, collections of roses, rhododendron, and Japanese maples, a Pinetum, and several interesting architectural features.
We are seeking a knowledgeable and highly qualified Grounds Horticulturist to join our team as we prepare for an exciting future. The Grounds Horticulturist will be responsible for the care and cultivation of the grounds, turf and natural areas of Millbourne. This position reports to the Director, assigns duties to seasonal staff and provides support to the other horticulture staff. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter that is able to work independently as well as with others to foster a team atmosphere. They will possess a critical eye for detail and prioritize their workload with the ability to adjust priorities as demands of the job change. This is a hands-on fulltime, 40 hours per week position with occasional weeknight and weekend work.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Maintaining assigned areas to the highest level of horticultural excellence
· All groundskeeping duties including, but not limited to, turf management, mowing, string trimming, edging, mulching, maintaining drives and walkways, planting, watering, fertilizing, and weeding
· Maintaining grass meadows and cultivating surrounding woodlands
· Hedge trimming and tree and shrub pruning
· Pesticide applications to turf and ornamental plantings
· Fall cleanup and snow removal
· Using small and large power equipment
· Irrigation repair
· Helping with larger team projects
· Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
· Minimum of a 2-year degree in horticulture or related field, or horticultural training from an accredited program with 2 years of work experience involving the maintenance of ornamental gardens
· Knowledgeable in turf management and best horticultural practices
· Knowledgeable in plant identification and cultivation including insect and disease identification and IPM
· Knowledgeable in and experience with proper pruning techniques
· Experience in using large and small power equipment as well as garden related hand tools
· Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
· PA pesticide license or ability to obtain one within 90 days of employment
· Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
· Comfortable using a ladder
· Comfortable working outside in all types of weather conditions including heat, below freezing temperatures, rain, and snow
· Capable of walking, standing, bending, and kneeling for extended periods of time
· Capable and comfortable using various small and large power equipment as well as typical garden related hand tools and implements
Millbourne offers our employees a competitive salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, retirement contribution, paid holidays, and paid time off.
For full consideration, qualified applicants may email their resume, along with a cover letter stating salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Millbourne is an equal opportunity employer (EOE M/F/D/V), is committed to diversity, and invites all interested and qualified candidates to apply for this position.