Job Summary: As the Head Gardener of a private estate in The Plains, Virginia, you will oversee the maintenance and development of our extensive formal ornamental gardens, kitchen gardens, and greenhouses. Your managerial and hands-on responsibilities will involve coordinating with other estate teams, the Estate Manager, and owners. You will create and execute both seasonal and short-term plans for garden renovation and plant growth management, while maintaining the integrity of the landscape designs. Your role will involve a wide variety of horticultural tasks, including planting, pruning, weeding, and dealing with plant diseases and pest infestations. You will also be responsible for the infrastructure and equipment related to the gardens and greenhouses. Collaborating closely with the household, you will plan and execute the kitchen garden and assist in the setup and decoration for special functions. To excel in this role, you should have a related degree and at least three to five years of experience in the field. On-site housing will be provided for the right candidate and their family.
- Oversee and direct the garden team ensuring smooth and efficient management of all garden-related responsibilities.
- Maintain and enhance the gardens by performing regular horticultural tasks such as planting, pruning, weeding, composting, and mulching.
- Design and execute comprehensive plans for both seasonal (3-12 month scope) and short-term (2-3 year scope) garden management, including weed or plant growth control, garden renovations, and planting bed development.
- Proactively identify and promptly address plant-related issues including diseases, injuries, and pest infestations, ensuring the overall health and growth of plants.
- Collaborate effectively with grounds, maintenance, and household teams to ensure the upkeep of ornamental gardens, greenhouses, and kitchen gardens.
- Plant and harvest a variety of produce from vegetables, herbs, citrus, and orchards, delivering fresh and organic produce for the household kitchen year around.
- Curate potted plants and create floral arrangements for estate decoration.
- Operate, inspect, and maintain a range of horticultural tools and machinery.
- Manage the infrastructure related to the greenhouse and gardens, which includes heating, fans, and irrigation systems to optimize plant growth conditions.
- Faithfully adhere to and maintain records of plans outlined by landscape architects.
- Assist in organizing event set-ups and decorations, adapting to seasonal changes.
- Develop and sustain effective relationships with local suppliers and contractors.
- A degree in horticulture, botany, landscape architecture, or a related field is required. A fieldwork equivalent may also be acceptable.
- At least three to five years of gardening/horticulture experience, with experience in public garden or estate landscape maintenance being preferred.
- Demonstrated management experience, preferably in a horticulture setting.
- Competency in plant identification and propagation is required, with knowledge in organic gardening and native plants being an asset.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Physical fitness is necessary, with the ability to sit, stand, kneel for more than 4 hours at a time, bend, reach, climb ladders and stairs, and lift weights up to 50 pounds.
- Must be comfortable working in various weather conditions.
- A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record and a criminal background check.
- Full Health Insurance Package (Medical, Dental and Vision)
- 401K with Employer Match
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Days
- Farm Store Discount
- Annual Clothing Allowance
- Annual Employee Beef Benefit
- Hunting and Fishing Privileges