A career at Skagit Horticulture is challenging, rewarding, and satisfying. We accomplish our goals when each individual performs to their full potential while contributing as a valuable team player with others in the organization.
Skagit Horticulture is a producer of Specialty Agriculture crops targeting Eastern Washington agriculture and other geographic areas. Skagit Horticulture has production facilities in Mabton, WA, and affiliations with other growers and Laboratories
Skagit Horticulture is expanding production of virus and disease-free field transplants in the Hops, Wine grape, Berry and fruit tree markets.
The head grower is responsible for all aspects of growing, care and maintenance of crops for the Mabton facility. As a leader in the company, the head grower will be expected to:
· Implement best management practices for all crops while striving for continual product improvement and cost management.
· Develop and manage product specifications that meet or exceed customer expectations.
· Network internally and externally to achieve goals; expected to be a primary focus as new crops are added to portfolio.
· Participate in developing and implementing strategic goals and initiatives.
· Lead and develop staff to achieve company goals.
Primary Responsibilities & Duties:
· Develop and Document Crop Protocols for all crops being produced at Mabton. This to include development of protocols related to virus-free and true-to-type status and ensure implementation.
· Lead all practices related to growing a crop, including:
o Irrigation management
o Fertility and media management
o Environmental controls
o Integrated Pest Management
o Capacity planning
o Record keeping
o Protocol development
· Develop pesticide application practices in compliance with current regulations, as well as lead all pesticide safety training, all pesticide applications and all necessary documentation. (This to be delegated to IPM coordinator in future).
· Work with sales, supply chain and operations team to best utilize capacity and growing environments.
· Have financial accountability, including budgeting.
· Participate as needed to ensure a safe work environment.
· Lead production efficiency efforts utilizing LEAN.