Articles & Videos
Horticulture Manager - Powell, OH
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
9990 Riverside Drive
Powell, OH 43065
Botanical/Public Garden Jobs
Landscape Management Jobs
Zoo/Other Attractions Jobs
Application Closing Date
Apply for Job
Refer a Friend
Add To Favorites
Responsible for the general landscaping and horticulture throughout the Zoo and Zoombezi Bay including irrigation systems, the coordination/acquisition of plant materials and the implementation, construction and preservation of botanical displays.
• Establishes and maintains high horticultural standards and practices.
• Manages and supports overall plant health and soil condition strategies.
• Oversees general landscape work throughout the Zoo and Zoombezi Bay.
• Oversees the development and implementation of maintenance programs, including irrigation systems, fertilization, pruning, pest and disease control
• Oversees the monitoring, reporting and treatments of pests, diseases, disorders and environmental concerns within Integrated Pest Management program.
• Detects plant and environmental problems and modifies treatment to improve plant quality.
• Responsible for implementation of final design for indoor and outdoor plantings and gardens.
• Coordinates and facilitates plant acquisitions including but not limited to identification, selection and acquisition of plant materials.
• Works with the landscape architect and exhibit designers to produce design concepts and final design using live plant materials.
• Coordinates and facilitates completion of landscape construction projects using outside contractors as well as zoo staff.
• Plans, assigns and reviews work, conducts performance reviews, provides and identifies training and development opportunities for staff, recommends corrective action when appropriate and interviews/recommends candidates for hire, promotions or transfer.
• Promotes the organization by participating in special events, presenting shows to plant clubs or societies, and conducting tours of the grounds.
• Assures safety of self, the collection, staff and visitors through proper safety training and techniques around the animals, equipment and vehicles.
• Oversees and performs pesticide application, maintains relevant logs.
• Provides construction support in the building and maintaining of garden pathways.
• Participates in cross-training activities as directed.
• Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and The Wilds.
• Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever possible.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Bachelor’s Degree in horticulture or related field required.
• Five years supervisory experience required.
• Minimum of five years horticulture experience required.
• Three years experience in construction trades preferred.
• Proven public speaking ability required.
• Must possess and maintain a State of Ohio Pesticide Applicators License.
• Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing required.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays required.
• Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision required.
• Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make it G.R.E.A.T. standards required.
• Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business required.
• Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols required.
• Proof of negative TB screening prior to placement and annually thereafter required.
• Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required.
• Ability to adhere to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s drug-free workplace policy including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and follow-up treatment required.
• Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually required.
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
Powell OH 43065
Copyright © 2017
All Rights Reserved.