Longwood Gardens, one of the world’s premier horticultural display gardens located in Kennett Square, PA is seeking a full-time horticulturist for the Idea Garden. The Idea Garden, part of the Outdoor Landscape Division, offers an array of themed gardens creating a seasonal, ever-evolving, aesthetically pleasing and inspiring guest experience as well as being an educational and experimental instrument to showcase a wide-range of plants, traditional and new garden techniques, designs and styles.
The horticulturist will join a skilled team to be predominantly responsible for the vegetable garden and orchard within the Idea Garden, cultivated in the spirit of an ornamental kitchen garden. This approach combines many vegetables and agricultural crops with cut flowers, ornamental perennials, soft fruits and other edible woodies. Our vision is to create a display garden that effortlessly connects with our guests, tells the story of the importance of food and may well serve as their first engagement with horticulture.
We are looking for a candidate with:
· a passion for propagation, growing and displaying plants at a high level of horticultural excellence
· a strong interest in common and unusual vegetables, herbs and fruit
· a passion for creative and inspiring plant compositions to engage guests with the Idea Garden
· the ability to perform a full range of horticultural tasks and duties, including propagating and pruning fruit, in most climate conditions
· a strong work ethic and experience in prioritizing, planning and leading the maintenance and evolution of a garden space
· ability to create a learning environment to teach and mentor about food crops and associated horticultural techniques to volunteers, interns, students and other staff
· a track record of comfortably working independently and as part of a team
· an interest in growing crops with minimal pesticide intervention and to build the soil
· a good sense of the global food scene
· the ability to articulate, engage and share their work, knowledge and Longwood’s mission with colleagues and guests
· keeping pace with latest horticultural developments and practices through hands-on experience and educational opportunities
· a passion for horticulture and a desire to pursue professional growth by providing innovative input to the organization.
Longwood Gardens fosters a collaborative team approach; this individual must be flexible and willing to support other horticultural activities and events within the Outdoor Landscape as well as co-workers across the organization.