TreeTown USA is a leader within the horticulture industry with a true coast-to-coast footprint consisting of over 6,000 acres in production encompassing 14 farm locations throughout Texas, Florida, California, and Oregon. We are seeking an In-Ground Tree Production Manager to join our team at our Hines Growers division at Forest Grove, Oregon.
Manage and oversee the In-Ground Production at the location. Responsibilities include but not limited to: Management and monitoring of the all aspects of the department within the facility, managing all field labor for growing & assembly, improving efficiency and productivity of workforce, growing quality plant material, budgetary management, & safety.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for production of the following products: Fruit, Flowering and Ornamental trees (Peaches, Nectarines, Plums, Apple, Pear, Japanese Maples, Dogwoods, Flowering Pear, KV Plum, etc.)
1) Rootstock Management
Schedule propagation of rootstock.
Develop master plan of scion/rootstock combinations
2) Field Management
Field layout plan
Development of in-ground production protocols and timelines
Consider mechanical planting/harvest equipment.
Consider residencies of products.
Supervise budding/grafting teams
a. Knows industry standards for grading, bundling and quality expectations
b. Has a good understanding of proper mechanical machinery and practices related to harvest
c. Understand requirements for storing all genus of shade and fruit trees
4) Inventory management
Report all potting, scrap and consolidations
Manage ready dates, quality grades
5) Maintain healthy stock blocks.
6) In-ground shrubs
a. Responsible for the production, maintenance, harvest of all ornamental trees and shrubs.
b. Works with Plant Health Manager to maintain healthy clean plants and growing grounds
c. Both will determine what products need to be applied based on time of year and type of chemicals best to use.
d. The working relationship between grower and Plant Health Manager will be one of unity and collaboration to do what is best for each individual crop or situation.
a. Works with team and safety team to ensure all safety rules and practices are in place and being followed on a daily basis
b. Takes part in safety meetings as needed
• Daily review and monitoring of the irrigation system.
• Reviews workload to establish work force requirements and schedules work for crews according to weather conditions, availability of equipment, necessity and seasonal limitations.
• Establish benchmarks and productivity requirements and reports them daily and accomplish labor budget
• Suggests formula and procedure changes to improve quality of plants to ensure product is ready for market per desired timetables.
• Orders needed inventory on a regular basis and insures proper storage, use and control of those products.
• Is responsible to help accomplish scrap goals.
• Responsible to trial different methods to improve production processes.
• Implement a true BMP program.
• Test and trial equipment and processes that increase productivity
• Work the needed shifts and hours to accomplish the needs, tasks, and responsibilities for the Production & Assembly Department.
• Coordinates with shipping department to determine volume needing pulled for shipments daily to ensure we are reallocating labor
• Compiles reports of personnel matters, such as absenteeism and labor costs, for management. Processes payroll and maintains time card for all employees through Paycom or other payroll systems.
• Compiles reports and responsible for response in all safety matters concerning employees in the Production Department to include any swing shift and night employees, where applicable.
• Bachelor's degree (B. A. or B.S.) from four-year college or university; or three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Must have a current driver’s license
• Must maintain a Qualified Applicator License through the State.
• Ability to communicate in English. Ability to communicate in Spanish is helpful but not mandatory.
• Must have experience in bare root / in-ground young tree growing
• Must have good organization and planning skills.
• Must be a self-starter, works well under pressure and able to multi task
• Must be able to operate a computer using Windows based programs to include but not limited to Excel, Word and Office. Ability to utilize computer and manage irrigation systems, Oracle software and others as needed.
Candidates that are interested should email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org