Manager of Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
SCOPE OR PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To identify and implement, supervise and manage, or participate in all aspects of Integrated Pest Management to aid the YP team in producing high-quality plug and liner products of the required quality specification as communicated by the customer.
1. Identify and Implement
- To understand and implement the classic definition of Integrated Pest Management encompassing the management of horticultural pests that minimizes the use of chemicals and emphasizes natural and low-toxicity methods (such as the use of sanitation and beneficial predatory insects)
- To identify within the YP Growing department IPM practices currently in place and identify new opportunities for IPM expansion.
1. Collaborate with the Head Grower, Grower Managers, and outside consultants to formulate and implement a complete and effective IPM program incorporating: a scouting program, sanitation protocol, use of biological applications, use of beneficial insects, moisture management recommendations, and environmental management recommendations.
- Organize, implement, instruct, and supervise the scouting program within YP.
1. Development of teaching protocol for existing and new scouts
2. Daily instruction and review of field scouting for disease and pest pressure
2. Oversee data collection and entry for the weekly pest and disease report to be utilized by the YP growing department
- Collaborate with the YP growing team to organize soil, water, and tissue sampling and testing
- Understand the chemical applications as directed by the Head Grower and Grower Managers and actively interact to form better communication and cohesion between non-chemical IPM practices and the chemical application programs
- Minimum two years of experience in IPM, growing or related profession.
- Active understanding of insect and disease identification and physiological interactions
- Four-year college degree preferred but not required.
- Ability to speak read and write English. Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred but not required.
- Proven track record to manage a diverse team and lead change management.
- Strong organization skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications.
- Familiarity with greenhouse growing conditions and protocols
- Familiarity with Worker Protection Standards Act; Pesticide Awareness and Safety
- Familiarity with tissue and soil testing procedures.
- Lift fifty pounds.
- Walk, bend and kneel unassisted.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS PERCENTAGE OF TIME
Sitting and computer work 35%
Lifting, pushing pulling up to 50lbs. 5%
The work environment for this position may include the outdoors in full sun exposure, in a warehouse/greenhouse area, or in an office environment. This position should expect an environment with large fluctuations in temperature including hot and humid. This position may expect a dusty or dirty work environment. This position may be required to work extended hours, weekends and holidays as required.
**RELOCATION ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE**