Join Burpee! We
are the nationwide leader in home gardening!
A privately owned and operated seed, plant and hard goods company,
selling across all channels to millions of gardeners every year. We are passionate about quality, innovation,
and making home gardening a successful experience. The Burpee company has been
in business over one hundred forty years and is the most trusted brand in home
gardening. This is your opportunity to
become a valued team member of a trusted industry leader.
Burpee has an immediate opening for an experienced IPM Specialist / Crop Biologist in our greenhouse facilities located in Fannettsburg, PA. As IPM Specialist / Crop Biologist, you will contribute to the overall success of the organization by achieving optimal greenhouse crop quality by developing and implementing Integrated Pest Management strategies. This will ensure the production of high quality plant material to meet sales and forecast needs as scheduled.
The IPM Specialist / Crop Biologist must be dependable, flexible and reliable as this is an extremely important position. This position is part of the growing team and will require participation in the weekend / holiday work rotation for water and fertilization.
Key responsibilities for the IPM Specialist / Crop Biologist position:
- Lead the facility in developing and implementing IPM strategies from seed to finish. Monitor and identify pest and disease problems on all crops and incoming shipments of plant material. Use preventative measures, sanitation, monitoring, scouting and treating plants as necessary to prevent shipping delays because of disease or pest issues.
- Maintain current records and collect data about pest and disease populations. Track BCA applications and their efficacy. Develop dynamic strategies based on data and research.
- Train and supervise grower assistants and seasonal greenhouse laborers in prevention, monitoring, treatment and quality control efforts. Collaborate with Growers and Production Supervisor to integrate efforts and prioritize labor.
- Manage and maintain accurate and current records of pesticide applications. Pass all PDA/WPS inspections.
- Analyze data collected, research, and present ideas to improve crop quality. Keep up to date with innovations in the industry regarding IPM.
- Prevent and treat pests and diseases using Integrated Pest Management (IPM) strategies, and favoring the use of Biological Control Agents (BCAs) wherever possible. Accurately mix and apply treatments using sprayers and foggers.
- Determine and respond to pest and disease thresholds and Economic Injury Levels (EILs) for all crops.
- Use the scientific method to research and experiment with various pest and disease treatment strategies to develop best practices and protocols.
- Assess crop quality to ensure that potential pest or disease problems are under control before shipment.
- Assist with creating a budget for and ensure timely purchase of pesticides and BCAs.
- Maintain inventory and proper storage of BCA/Chemicals on site. Keep sprayers, foggers and other tools and equipment in good condition and report equipment needs to maintenance team.
- Maintain accurate detailed records of pest and disease populations, treatments, and metrics for scouting and applications.
- Schedule timing of applications so as not to interfere with grooming, transplant, and pulling.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Burpee offers a competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, and paid time off package in this congenial, casual work environment. For immediate CONFIDENTIAL consideration for this opportunity, qualified candidates should forward their resume ASAP. Equal Opportunity Employer.