Museum of Science, Boston
Innovation and creativity come from the unique perspectives of a diverse staff. We value your perspective.
The Lead Horticulturalist is primarily responsible for providing a high quality visitor experience through maintaining and practicing high professional standards for the horticultural care, display and interpretation of the Museum's living plant collection in the Butterfly Garden. The position assists in the monitoring of USDA containment procedures and equipment promptly reporting problems to the Curators and/or the Facilities Department. As a member of the Living Collections Department, this role also develops and presents plant biology/natural history oriented interpretations and programs and actively engages visitors on this topics. Lastly, the Lead Horticulturalist supervises the operation of the Butterfly Garden two days per week as well as in the Curator of Invertebrate's absence.
- Assists in the daily supervision of 2 full-time and 4 part-time staff as well as a minimum of 10 volunteers weekly and 20 interns annually
- Supervises the daily operation of the Butterfly Garden on two of hers/his weekly shifts.
- Manages a $9000 plant and horticultural supply budget and a $17,000 Integrated Pest Management Budget
- Maintains a plant collection for a 3200 square foot Butter Garden
- Maintains an 600 square foot out door plant nursery from April to October
- Propagates or purchases 3000 plants on a yearly basis.
- Monitors the plant conditions for two green walls (approximately 600 square feet of plants) and oversees approximately 24 onsite visits by the contract horticulturalist.
- Propagates and maintains plants for a minimum of two Museum programs and one exhibit outside of the Butterfly Garden (expectation is these numbers will increase over time).
- Shares the responsibility of monitoring approximately 100,000+ Butterfly Garden visitors yearly.
- Approximately two hours daily is devoted to interpreting plant/insect biology to the Museum's guests.
- Assists in monitoring the health of approximately 350 live butterflies on a daily basis
- Assists in monitoring the health of approximately 20 colonies of non-butterfly insects and invertebrates.
- Ability to work in a warm (78-82 degrees), humid (60-70% relative humidity) environment.
This position is full-time, 40hrs/wk, Tuesday-Saturday, 8am-5pm.
Manager, Living Collections
- Bachelors of Science or Arts degree.
- 3 or more years of experience caring for living botanical collections in a public garden, conservatory, zoo, aquarium, nature center, science museum or natural history museum.
- Working knowledge and experience with horticultural practices in a commercial/research greenhouse, conservatory, botanical garden, zoo, aquarium, nature center, science or natural history museum.
- Working knowledge and experience using Integrated Pest Management to control plant pests.
- Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers in a commercial green house, conservatory, botanical garden, zoo, aquarium, nature center or science or natural history museum.
- Demonstrated public speaking and interpretation skills.
- Comfort level working with the public in a very busy setting.
Benefits for full-time, non-exempt (hourly) staff include: free parking, T accessibility, 15 vacation days, 12 holidays, 10 sick days, medical, dental, and vision insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, retirement and savings plan, health care/dependent care flex spending plan, employee discounts, employee referral program, tuition assistance, professional development, direct deposit, free admission, free Duck Tours, discounted movie passes, and much more!
The Museum of Science is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
No phone inquiries, please. Qualified applicants will be contacted within two to four weeks of initial application.