Responsible for physically performing general and specialized maintenance and minor repairs to Arboretum water features, including fountains, pumps, ponds with fish and aquatic plants, and other related systems. Conduct water testing as needed and apply chemical treatments in accordance with industry standards and departmental policies. Maintain and properly store related equipment and supplies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
1. Perform routine maintenance, inspections, and repairs to water features according to written guidelines. This includes vacuuming pools, checking and cleaning filters, backwashing sand filters, monitoring pumps, skimming pools, applying chemical treatments, etc.
2. Troubleshoot water feature system maintenance needs, including potential safety hazards.
3. Maintain interactive features according to Aboretum, city, and state standards, including daily water testing with a chemical kit.
4. Feed fish according to industry standards. Maintain pH, clorine, nitrate, and other necessary levels to sustain aquatic life and apply chemicals as needed.
5. Complete and maintain written records.
6. Assist with ordering of maintenance supplies, research pricing, etc.
7. Secure equipment and supplies at the end of the work day.
8. Submit maintenance request forms in a timely manner.
9. Work with garden supervisors to maintain cleanliness, safety, and security of pump vaults, mechanical rooms, and storage facilities.
10. Provide technical assistance as needed to assist with training of personnel to perform minor maintenance and repairs of water features.
11. Assist with Horticulture maintenance projects, special event set-ups an other related departmental activities as needed.