The Nursery Operations Manager/Head Propagator is responsible for the overall growing operations at Arid Solutions Nursery, located in Phoenix Arizona. The Operations Manager will be overseeing the nursery operations and ensuring plant production is optimized to assure healthy and hardy plants are ready and available for our retail and wholesale operations as necessary. The NOM should possess a passion and understanding of plants, a "green thumb," and team leadership skills. This position works under the direction of the General Manager GM to assure all plant production is done in accordance with ASN standards and guidelines.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Overseeing all plant propagation and production operations.
• Managing a diverse group of employees.
• Maintaining accurate inventory levels by ensuring production management and growing/propagation responsibilities are completed accurately and in a timely fashion, and by following proper processes to ensure production is maximized and cost efficient.
• Leading and enforcing all safety guidelines and directives.
• Forecasting, budgeting and providing input in to long term grow plan.
• Overseeing all chemical applications made to crops.
• Providing proper identification and diagnosis of plant disease.
• Reviewing the results of and ordering outside analysis of soil and plant tissues.
• Conducting monthly reviews of grow times, plants per acre, shrink buffers, etc., for production.
• Maintaining and improving upon systems integration of growing protocols.
• Making recommendations as to variety selections, production methods, etc.
• Setting production plans, keeping production on budget and in best-practices, ordering seeds, plants, fertilizer, chemicals, and supplies as needed.
• Producing production reports, and analysis to help identify problems and improvement opportunities.
• Developing and implementing seeding, watering, fertilizing, spraying, and bumping.
• Analyzing overall production and make recommendations as to overall production.
• Generating production reports, and exception reports.
• Overseeing the hiring, staffing, managing, and directing production staff at the grow yard.
• Working with Sr. Management to assure production plan matches market demand and goals.
• Serving as a subject matter expert (SME) for, and working with external suppliers, government agencies, store personnel, and other company officials as needed.
• Performing other duties and tasks as assigned.
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Five + years' experience in nursery management or related environment required.
• Five + years of plant prorogation or comparable growing experience required.
• Basic computer skills are necessary and experience with Slice software preferred.
• Hold a valid Arizona Pesticide applicator license preferred.
• Detailed orientation with a passion for working with plants, people, and numbers.
• Reliable, responsible, and self-motivated, with ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Aptitude in decision-making and problem solving.
• Ability to work well with others.
• Experience with Excel and other MS Office applications including Word.
• Strong time management, attention to detail, organizational skills and follow through.
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
A four year degree in Ag Management, Horticulture, or related field of study and/or training (or equivalent knowledge gained through formal education, specialized training, or additional job experience)