ABOUT THE NATIVE PLANT NURSERY
Oxbow’s Native Plant Nursery (NPN) produces native plants that promote a conservation ethic. The plants produced in the nursery serve to increase habitat quantity and quality, while also acting as a vehicle for knowledge growth, empowering restoration project managers, landscape architects, and household and community gardeners to learn the importance of native plants and local landscapes. The NPN is recognized for its high-quality plants, development of native plant propagation protocols, and engagement in research to improve all aspects of nursery production. The NPN grows approximately 75,000 plants per year.
The Nursery Production Assistant will work with the year-round nursery staff in all aspects of plant production during the 2022 growing season. The position requires someone able to take on responsibility and work efficiently with attention to detail. Additionally, we are looking for individuals with a background and interest in botany, horticulture, nursery science and/or environmental stewardship, and an enthusiasm for native plants and their production.
The Nursery Production Assistant’s schedule is primarily M-F, 8:00-4:00, with occasional weekend work required. This position is seasonal and is scheduled to run from March-November of 2022.
- Perform duties around crop production, including sowing, thinning, transplanting, pruning, organization, weeding, irrigation, and inventory monitoring.
- Assist in preparing plant orders and loading delivery vehicles.
- Maintain organization and cleanliness of the nursery and equipment.
- Participate in site preparation, maintenance, and native planting activities on site.
- Assist with and participate in events as needed throughout the season.
- Work cross-functionally with other program teams to ensure efficient and effective communication and operations.
- Represent Oxbow in a positive, professional manner, engaging with and educating visitors about Oxbow’s mission and programs.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned by the NPN Assistant Manager.
- Enthusiasm for native plants of the Pacific Northwest region and their associated habitats.
- Work experience/background in botany, environmental science, horticulture, or related field.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment related to nursery production, landscaping, or restoration activities, and a strong desire to learn more.
- Consistent attention to detail.
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity when necessary, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique.
- Ability to work standing, sitting, bending over or kneeling; to lift heavy and awkward objects, up to 50 lbs.; to perform physical work, such as digging or planting; and to work in inclement weather.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Flexible, creative, and able to perform well in diverse conditions and under pressure.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY COMMITMENT
Oxbow is committed to cultivating a culture of diversity and inclusion. We value the individual differences, life experiences, and knowledge that our staff members bring to their work and their communities. Valuing diversity is a significant part of our culture, our values, and the success of Oxbow’s mission.
Oxbow provides equal employment opportunities to all staff members and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Oxbow is committed to fostering a racially diverse team. People of color are encouraged to apply.
This is a non-exempt seasonal, full-time position, paying $18 per hour and is eligible for overtime. Oxbow offers competitive benefits including paid time-off and a monthly phone stipend.
Visit https://oxbow.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=37 , click on “Apply for This Job”, and follow the prompts.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.