Come locate yourself in the beautiful rolling hills of Iowa farmland, where midwest values are strong. 1 hour NE of Des Moines, in central Iowa.
As a valued Grower at Swift Greenhouses, Inc, you will find the least number of hours worked of any major plug producer in the industry. That means more time for you and/or your family.
Be part of a family owned tradition that has been sustained for 70 years of growing superior quality, wholesale potted plants and plugs, consisting of 5 acres of Perennials, Annuals and Succulents, along with Edible Veggies & Herbs.
You will continually be challenged and trained, learning and discussing with our in-house team of professionals, along with the industry’s leading plant/plug consultants to assist in producing the highest quality plant material possible.
Many rewarding opportunities to specialize in at Swifts, so don’t limit yourself!
Nurture your crops daily, making decisions on growth and environment in your own range.
- Research new ideas for crop quality improvements
- Care and monitoring of range for optimum crop quality, climate, and plant placement
- Develop/document high quality standards for consistently growing crops using computer database
- Assist in the development and implementation of specific fertilization programs
- Share ideas during weekly grower communication meetings
- Attend conventions or training off-site
- Monitor/control computerized greenhouse environments
- Attain the latest industry insight, trends and information from on-site consultants
- Responsible for all aspects of growing, including watering, fertilizing, spraying, and testing.
- Lead employees in your range
- Perform/track soil, water, disease tests as necessary
- Identify/track/control insects
- Identify crop issues and determine solutions
- Interact/communicate with a dedicated, knowledgeable, friendly grower team
- Pay Hourly-DOE
- Bonuses – 2 per year
- Holiday Pay
- Vacation Pay
- 401K up to 4% Match
- Health Insurance
- Relocation Subsidy
- Friendly, Family-like Atmosphere
- Free Plants
- BS or AS in Horticulture/Floriculture/Biology/Botany or related field or 2 years minimum grower experience
- Exhibit excellent leadership skills
- Detail Oriented
- Lead by example – set the highest possible standards for quality, efficiency, productivity, and behavior
- Utilize Overtime hours as necessary to finish daily tasks
- Display proficient verbal and written communication skills
- Obtain a state pesticide applicators license
- Demonstrate basic computer skills – Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook