The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS), an internationally recognized nonprofit organization founded in 1827, advances the well-being of the Philadelphia region by creating healthier living environments, building deeper connections between people, and increasing access to fresh food and economic opportunity, through gardening and horticulture. The Program Manager for Gardener Engagement is part of a team at PHS focused on increasing the number of home gardeners in the region and expanding their impact at home and in their communities. Home gardeners include individuals of all ages, from all backgrounds, and with varying skill levels that care for at least one plant, indoors or out.
The Program Manager is specifically responsible for designing and managing a collection of programs and initiatives that contribute to the team’s goals. Examples of such programming include the annual PHS Gardening Contest, the PHS Plant Dividend event for members, garden tours, gardener volunteering programs, workshops and lectures, plant sales and swaps, and various events in locations throughout the Greater Philadelphia region. The work also includes participating in the planning and implementation of the annual Philadelphia Flower Show. This position requires working closely with the marketing function to conduct outreach, with the shows and events team on event operations as well as with the public horticulture, healthy neighborhoods, volunteer management, membership and development teams as necessary. The Program Manager maintains multiple key relationships with volunteer leaders and others in the greater Philadelphia gardening community. A strong interest and some practical experience with gardening is essential.
Essential Functions Strategy and Data Management
- Develop detailed implementation plans for audience growth and revenue-generating activities for each outreach/acquisition activity (event/program/initiative) in the annual work plan.
- Conduct research as needed; develop and deliver appropriate content.
- Create and maintain procedural documentation for recurring events and program work.
- Collaborate with and support others in planning efforts to ensure cohesiveness in gardener engagement efforts.
- Collect data, establish monitoring and evaluation practices for acquisition and related programs and events for input into the team dashboard.
- Coordinate with Gardener Engagement teammates and Information Services on this as needed.
Logistics Management, Coordination, and Implementation
- Lead and participate on program and event teams, facilitating communication and interaction among various departments, managing timelines and deliverables.
- Track programs against schedule, budget and objectives, reporting status to supervisor on a regular basis and executive staff on an as needed basis.
- Manage day to day operations and adjust program operations appropriately as new information becomes available, and/or situations change.
- Execute all other coordination tasks for events and programs as needed for smooth and effective implementation.
Administration, Management, and Stewardship
- Coordinate with PHS marketing, sales, and information services teams to anticipate constituent needs and interests and respond to inquiries and feedback.
- Establish and manage relationships with key partners. Coordinate contractors, partners, and PHS employees in the successful implementation of programs, events, and other initiatives. Effectively manage volunteers.
- Provide stewardship in support of volunteers, donors and program participants, in their relationship with PHS and their contribution to gardening for the greater good.