North Shore Greenhouses is looking for a Research Scientist. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work in a growing business with exciting technology at your fingertips. This leadership role requires a strong communicator, good time management skills, good foresight, and problem-solving skills. We are looking for someone to come in and continue helping push our company to its goals. This position reports directly to the President/CEO.
North Shore is the proud grower and packer of premium, living culinary herbs. At the root of everything we do is a culture of innovation, quality and utilizing earth-friendly practices. In fact, our roots are so important that we leave them on all our consumer-packaged products, so they are delivered on shelf as the freshest herbs available. Be a part of the growing produce industry and the increasingly important healthy lifestyle consumer sector.
Maintain consistent operation of critical organic irrigation systems for culinary herbs, including unique bioprocessing systems, and serving as a key member of the production team in ensuring consistent performance of equipment throughout the year. Furthermore, the position is expected to serve as a contributing member of the research and development efforts of the company, primarily related to improving crop quality and consistency throughout seasonal changes by designing and executing a variety of trials and experiments with support from research and production team members. The position is an interdisciplinary role combining biological sciences with agronomy, focused on bringing scientific thinking and biological principles to the team to operate microbial based processing coordinated with crop production. The working environment is fast paced with a wealth of opportunity for learning industry pioneering systems, working in sophisticated greenhouses, and involvement in exciting projects ranging from state if the art irrigation systems to advanced supplemental lighting experimentation and deployment.
Detailed Work Activities:
Organic Crop Systems Operation:
• Routinely work with PC based automation controls to monitor and control irrigation and bioprocessing systems.
• Work daily with crops and production team members coordinate balancing crop demands with support systems and ensuring product quality throughout the production cycle.
• Maintain documentation and adherence to organic crop management regulatory requirements.
• Coordinate labor required to collect routine data and water samples as needed.
• Act as a primary troubleshooter for systems under the control of this position to aid team members in consistently meeting production goals.
• Observe and ensure un-interrupted operation of critical equipment in a greenhouse setting in addition to bio-processing equipment.
Biological and Chemical Sciences Advisor:
• Utilize scientific thinking and biological and agronomy education in operations and research projects to troubleshoot and perform a variety of tasks related to daily operations and systems.
• Maintain and operate on-site laboratory equipment, including primarily general chemistry tools, along with some spectroscopy and capillary electrophoresis on occasion.
Research and Development:
• Perform new and evolving research projects related to crop management, supplemental lighting, irrigation strategies and serve in a project management capacity under the guise of management.
• Perform literature reviews for new projects and regularly follow industry technology and trends.
• Communicate needs and coordinate efforts related to projects and operations related to the job scope.
• Attend industry conferences on occasion to keep abreast of the state of the industry.
• Food Safety and Quality Control
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
• This is a full-time. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
• May be on call when during critical times of the year when crops are in stress.
Tools and Equipment:
• Laboratory Equipment
• Hand tools and power tools
• Microsoft Office Suite
• Office 365 SharePoint based tools a Plus (OneNote, Teams, SharePoint, Planner)
• Automation HMI on PC and Mobile devices